Domestic violence is a serious social issue that crosses social and economic statuses the world over. Violence is enacted quite frequently, and when it happens in the public eye, such as on a street during a riot, the event is newsworthy. It is important that we define our terms before continuing on.
Health care professionals are the first line response to many domestic violence victims. In this capacity, they must be prepared to identify, assess, and assist victims with safety planning, and provide referrals to needed services. Health care providers must recognize that the emergency room is only one of many health care settings where victims are found. Almost every medical discipline is confronted at some point with the tragic results of domestic violence.
Nationwide, employers estimate that domestic violence costs them between three and five billion dollars each year in health care claims, plus another one hundred million dollars in absenteeism, high turnover and lost productivity.
What is meant by violence?
Violence refers to any act of abuse that causes or intends to cause:
• violence may be emotional or physical in nature
• any prevention or disruption in the normal habits of someone
When violence is the issue, then the discussion shifts away from strangers in the street and focuses on an inner circle of trust that is being broken. Violence in Queensland, as around the world, has been increasing over the past fifty years, at least reported cases of such. Domestic violence is a violent act performed against one person by another when in a relationship, be that a domestic partnership, marriage, housing share situation or any other relationship in which one is exerting control over another.
Some types of Domestic Violence
• Mean or aggressive name-calling or taunting
• Isolating by force or conversion from friends, family, or a steady income
• Preventing the creation or maintaining of a steady job
• Keeping the partner from financial means of independence
• Physical threats or actual physical violence
• Sexual assault
While emotional, mental, and financial abuse are not technically illegal, they are forms of abuse and are common signifiers of abuse in domestic violence statistics. The common domestic violence sees starts out with possessive behavior, then tends to advance into other more violent varieties. The four basic types of violence sees are as follows:
• Common violence between couples (CCV) this type of violence is not an ongoing occurrence but one specific incident in which both people react violently towards one another.
• Intimate terrorism (IT) This type of abuse may contain elements of emotional as well as psychological abuse, but is more commonly one component in an overall pattern of control of one partner over another. This type of abuse is highly likely to escalate at some point in time to abuse and coercion by force. This is usually not a mutually abusive situation, rather one of abuse directed from one partner to another. While less common than the aptly named CCV.
• Violent Resistance (VR) As the name suggests, this is a result of the victim defending themselves against attacks, themselves lashing out against the perpetrator of the violence against them.
• Mutual Violent Control (MVC) In this manner of violence, each partner acts violently towards the other in a war for control.
Why Can’t Love be Used as an Excuse For Domestic Violence
What is love…? This is the act caring and the sense of safety you get from your partner. The place where you start to learn about love is your home. Home is where love begins and flourishes. That is where a person gets to know about the feelings of security and the knowledge that there will be someone to rely on when there is a need. Domestic violence is basically the physical or physiological pain one has to face due to the activities of another in one home. According to the researches and statistics it has been discovered that every kind of violence start at home. Although many tend to ignore the severity of this matter, this issue can cause permanent damages in a life of a person. This can come in many forms.
Forms of domestic violence
1. The best known form of this is physical abuse including aggression or assault. But mental abuse among spouses is also put into this category.
2. Physical abuse happens mainly due to anger issues of one of the intimate partners. This can go from hitting some one to cause pain from injuring children or pets in order to cause physiological pain to another.
3. Then there is the complicated form of abuse which entails harassing the other partner sexually in the veil of love. But does love give you all the rights over your partners sexual life? Some consider that marrying a person gives them the rights to take their marriage partners into any sexual activity they prefer. But threatening or forcing for any kind of a sexual activity is considered as sexual abuse despite the fact a person is married.
Domestic Violence Resource Center Australia is there to help you and get you over any kind of a domestic violence that you may have faced. The professionals will also help you what is love and give you all the reasons as to why it should not be used as an excuse to domestic violence. While there will be a legal procedure to give deserved punishment to those who have caused violence, there will be supporting and advising process for the victims as well.